Song: Everything You Know Is Wrong
Running Time: 3:47
Album: Bad Hair Day
Parody of: Style parody of They Might Be Giants ("Turn Around", "Everything Right Is Wrong Again", "Rhythm Section Want Ad", "The Statue Got Me High", "Birdhouse In Your Soul")
Genre: Alternative rock
Guitar tuning: E standard
Forum: Forum Discussion Page
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The song parodies several common elements of early They Might Be Giants songs, particularly ones written and sung by keyboardist John Linnell: the use of accordion, electric organ, baritone saxophone, drum machine, and rambling, bizarrely morbid lyrics offset by cheery melodies. The slow organ intro sounds similar to the intros of TMBG's "Sensurround" and "Out of Jail"
- The lyrics in this song, revolving around absurdist happenings leading people to sing the chorus, are very similar to TMBG's "Turn Around", from their Apollo 18 album.
- In the February 1999 "Ask Al" column, Al confirmed that the song's title is a reference to the Firesign Theatre 1974 album of the same name.
- The title is also similar to the first song on They Might Be Giants' debut album, "Everything Right Is Wrong Again".
- The accordion solo in this track is similar to the ones in TMBG's "Rhythm Section Want Ad" and "Narrow Your Eyes"
- The lyric "I was just about to mail a letter to my evil twin" may be a nod to the They Might Be Giants song "My Evil Twin" from their album Apollo 18.