Song: The Saga Begins
Running Time: 5:27
Genre: Folk rock
Guitar tuning: E standard
Forum: Forum Discussion Page
Cast: Weird Al as Obi-wan, Rueben Valtierra as Emperor Palapatine, and Mace Windu as herself.
- The song summarizes the plot of the much-hyped first episode of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, The Phantom Menace, and was released only a few weeks after the movie. Al says he wrote the song based entirely on internet rumors, and attended a special pre-release screening of the movie to make sure it was accurate; he had to make major alterations after seeing the movie (opposed to contrary to popular belief)
- The original "American Pie" songwriter Don McLean says that Al's parody lyrics sometimes creep into his head when he performs the song live.
- When Radio Disney would play the song, they censored the line "Do you see him hitting on the Queen" simply by cutting it out of the song. Al thought this sounded horrible and released a version where he sings "Do you see him talking to the Queen" instead.
- The music video for this song was shot in a blistering hot Mojave Desert (the opening and ending scenes) and an air-conditioned soundstage (the cantina scene).
- The song was recorded on 20th April 1999, the same date as the Columbine Massacre.
- The song runs for 5 minutes and 27 seconds,